05 January 2012

New years resolutions….

Each year I make New Years Resolutions of one kind or another but I don’t call them New Years Resolutions… oh no, they are “Things I Am Going To Do This Year”. They usually involve being a better mother, a better house wife, a better Christian – you know become that prayer warrior etc.…. It doesn’t make any difference what I call New Years Resolutions though I still fail to meet my expectations or fulfil my plans the way I envisaged I would.

During the week I read this blog post by Candace at His Mercy is New and I was particularly struck by this phrase “Me being better, being more will never work...because I am nothing without Him. “ This got me thinking how much do I set myself up for failure because I start with me, I don’t go to the one who made me.

I measure myself against standards and benchmarks I have set for myself. God is the one who can shape me and mould me, I try so hard on my own steam just so I can say I did it. God actually wants to change me and has a better plan for the refinement of my character than I could ever write-up. He even has his own perfect timetable for the project!

2 Corinthians 3:18
And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
SONY DSC

So should I bother with resolutions?
I am not saying that the things I want to change shouldn’t involve any effort on my part or that they are not admirable goals in themselves, but often they are at the core, me trying to change myself, on my own, according to a plan I drew up for myself. My thinking and starting point is all wrong. I should be sitting myself down at the Lord's feet and allowing Him to orchestrate the process in the way that He wants to.
 
And what about the things I want to badly change, that do need changing, but I am left to struggle with?  I have come to believe there are some struggles that will remain a thorn in my side for the time being no matter how much I pray (beg) the Lord to remove them, as really they are how He is glorified in my life – those weaknesses and flaws are His way of reminding me that I need Him and always will. They are tough continuing lessons that tell me this is about His glory not my own. He loves me so much that these things will not remain for the purpose of frustrating me but to be an ever-present testimony in this life that He is all I need.
 
And I have his promise that He will finally change me, one day I will be with Him, completed, refined and perfected.
 
Some encouragement
If you are struggling with resolutions or habits you want to change here are two great bible readings to meditate on:
2 Corinthians 12:1-10
Romans 7:21-25


See you soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts... please feel free to leave a comment but please be respectful of both the blogger and those that comment.