14 January 2012

Where did it go?

Did anyone else blink and miss the summer holidays? I could swear just last week was the end of the school year and the ink on my list of ‘things we are going to do in the summer holidays’ was just drying. Now its two weeks until school starts back and my ‘baby’ goes to big school.

The list did have to have a lot of changes to it though. Our 7 year old thought he’d try out the broken arm thing so the beach and all water activities (read that as half my list) got scratched. And the weather wasn’t going to play nice either. Sydney had the coldest start to summer in a long time. We were wearing jeans for a week at a time!!! Jeans in a Sydney summer! Unheard of.

Before I knew it Christmas was done, New Years Eve was crossed off and we were packing for CMS Summer School up at Katoomba.

The Three Sisters

The Three Sisters, Katoomba. Photo by deeleea

Summer School has been our summer holiday for the past three years. Hubby and I find it a fabulous way to start off the year. The days of hearing God’s word preached and listening to how God’s word is being shared around the globe is a wonderful encouragement and helps to get the coming year into focus.

A highlight this year was hearing some missionaries speak on why and how they ended up on the missionary field. Those speakers all challenged me to think about how willing I am to hear God’s voice and to how willing I really am to give up all for Jesus if he asks it of me. Would I really leave it all behind? How important to me is worldly security and being comfortable over serving God and others?

I usually feel refreshed and filled by the end of the conference and our few extra days up in the mountains, but also challenged. This year the challenge I have been given is to love God’s People. I don’t know all that will involve for me exactly but I know I will find out in good time. I know that I won’t have to do anything alone, God will give me all I need to do His will. And I do hope this blog will be a part of that.
Here are some words you might like to meditate on:
Psalm 28:7
7 The LORD is my strength and my shield;
   my heart trusts in him, and he helps me.
My heart leaps for joy,
   and with my song I praise him.
Isaiah 41:9-10
9 I took you from the ends of the earth,
   from its farthest corners I called you.
I said, ‘You are my servant’;
   I have chosen you and have not rejected you.
10 So do not fear, for I am with you;
   do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
   I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
New International Version (NIV)
Have you a particular challenge for 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts... please feel free to leave a comment but please be respectful of both the blogger and those that comment.